It is quite funny to me how different using Russian in the real world is as opposed to using it in class. In class, you learn many many vocab words relating to all the 'useful' things: food, clothes, places, restaurant words, general conversation situations. Which of course is very helpful; I mean if you can't read anything off of a menu or ask where the bathroom is, it can be a bit difficult to get by. But while actually LIVING somewhere where everyone speaks Russian, my vocabulary has expanded rapidly in directions never even mentioned in my language classes. Such that now I can describe a situation in which a pipe under a sink has a leak in it. Even if it is just a strange half piece of pipe with a bunch of plastic bags shoved in it. Yup, I have described that exact situation multiple times, because that is indeed what is currently happening under the sink in my kitchen. I know 'plumber service' and 'water canalization service' and even talked my neighbor in to coming over to look at it and advise me what to do (shove more plastic bags in and call the owner to call the plumber). Not to mention I quickly learned 'soviet style [plug]outlets' and 'delivery service' thanks to my washing machine issues at the beginning. See, here all problems are just a lovely learning experience teehaa)))
For now, I have alerted my boss and will let my sink leak its heart out into the plastic bags and get it fixed tomorrow because I'm meeting some friends to hang out at a house owned by a suspiciously American/British sounding pair of guys. To make shashlik! (like legit kebabs) and enjoy a few beverages. I don't know how much fun I'll have though..I mean it will probably be lacking in the sleazy Italians department :P
No comments:
Post a Comment